1. Introduction to Chemical Thermodynamics.
Energy and the 1st law of thermodynamics. Work, heat and energy conservation. Internal energy and enthalpy. Thermochemistry. Entropy and the 2nd law of thermodynamics. Free energy.
2. Chemical Equilibrium
Nature of chemical equilibrium. Equilibrium constant. Energy, equilibrium constant and temperature. Chemical potential.
3. Acids and Bases
Acid-base reactions in aqueous solution. Mono and polyprotic acids. pH and pK. Acid-base titrations. Indicators. Buffering effect.
4. Solubility and precipitation of salts
Solubility of salts in water. Precipitation reactions. Common ion effect and ionic strength. Selective precipitation.
5. Oxidation-reduction reactions
Redox reactions. Electrochemical cells. Normal potential. Nernst equation. Potential and equilibrium constant. Redox titrations. Electrolysis.
6. Complex ions
Structure. Formation constants. Complexes and solubility. Complexometry.
Bibliography of reference
1. R. Chang, Chemistry, 8th Ed., McGraw-Hill (New York, 2004);
2. P. Atkins and L. Jones, Chemical Principles: the quest for insight, 5th Ed., Freeman (New York, 2010).