1 Electrostatics. Multipolar expansion. Dipole and quadrupole. Energy.
2 Dielectrics. Polarizability. Clausius-Mossotti and Langevin laws.
3 Laplace and Poisson eqs. Image method. Solution of Laplace eq (Cartesian, cylindrical and spherical coordinates). Numerical methods for Laplace eq.
4 Magnetic energy. Magnetic multipoles. Dipolar field and vector potential.
5 Paramagnetism, diamagnetism and ferromagnetism. Hysteresis.
6 Electrodynamics: Vector and Poynting's theorem.
7 EM wave propagation in materials and conductive media. Guided waves.
8 Relativity and electromagnetism. Electromagnetic tensor. Covariant form of Maxwell eqs and continuity. Lorentz transformations for the EM field. Covariant expression of the Lorentz force. Covariant eqs for scalar and vector potentials. Gauge transformations.
9 Retarded potentials. Lienart-Wiechert potentials. EM field due to accelerated charges. Radiated power. Dipole electric and magnetic radiation.
Bibliography of reference
Bibliografia principal / Principal bibliography:
- Brito, L., Fiolhais, M., Providência C., Campo Electromagnético, McGraw-Hill, Lisboa, 1999.
- Griffiths, D., Introduction to Electrodynamics - 3rd Edition ? Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, 1999.
- Feynman, R., Leighton R. e Sands, M., Lectures on Physics volume II, Addison-Wesley, 1963.
- Jackson, J. D., Classical Electrodynamics, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1975.
- Lorrain, P. Corson, D. E Lorrain, F., Electromagnetic Fields and Waves (3rd edition) Freeman and Company, New York, 1988.
- Wangsness, R. K., Electromagnetic Fields (2nd edition), John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1979.