1. Hydrogenoid atoms: Schrödinger equation for hydrogenoid atoms; relation between magnetic dipole moment and angular momentum; Stern-Gerlach experiment; electron spin angular-momentum; spin-orbit interaction; fine and hyperfine structure of energy levels. Atoms in the presence of external fields: Zeeman and Stark effects. Interaction of hydrogenoid atoms with the electromagnetic radiation field: radiation emission and absorption; Radiative transitions and selection rules.
2. Polielectronic atoms: central field approximation; periodic table; electronic configurations and spectroscopy notation. Spin-orbit interaction; L-S and j-j coupling. Optical and X-ray spectra. Interaction with external magnetic fields: Zeeman and Paschen-Back effects.
3. Molecules: The molecular connection; electronic structure of diatomic molecules; H2+ hydrogen molecular ion; hydrogen molecule; complex molecules. Molecular spectra; rotational and vibrational levels; molecular electronic spectra.
4. Transition processes between atomic and molecular levels; notion of efficient section.
5. Lasers: conditions for laser emission; absorption and gain coefficients; amplitude and laser light phase.
Bibliography of reference
BRANSDEN, B. H. & JOACHAIN, C. J. (2003). Physics of Atoms and Molecules. 2nd ed. Prentice Hall.
GRIFFITHS, D. Introduction to quantum mechanics.
EISBERG, R. & RESNICK, R. (1985). Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nucleus and Particles. 2nd ed. J. Wiley & Sons.