Chemistry Lab I is an experimental course combined with the theoretical subjects of the second year of Chemistry course and Medicinal Chemistry course: Organic Chemistry I, Structural and Theoretical Chemistry (only for the Degree in Chemistry) Physical Chemistry I (or Medical Physical Chemistry for the Degree in Medicinal Chemistry), Inorganic Chemistry, Biological Chemistry (only for the Degree in Medicinal Chemistry). Recognize and apply at the experimental level the basic principles of the above mentioned courses. Ability to analyze, synthesize and understand. Acquisition of skills that enable to communicate the results and conclusions of experimental studies.
The following experimental works will be performed:
1. Determination of the stoichiometry and approximate calculation of the standard Gibbs energy of a complex.
2. Contribution of the vibrational, rotational and translational degrees of freedom to the heat capacity of a diatomic molecule.
3. Synthesis of complexes of cobalt (III) and their characterization by visible absorption spectrophotometry.
4. Determination of partial molar volumes (students of Chemistry).
5. Applications of quantum theory to vibrational and translational motions of chemical systems (students of Chemistry).
6. Enzyme Kinetics: Effect of enzyme and substrate concentration, temperature and pH on the rate of a reaction (students of Medicinal Chemistry).
1st year of University curricula
Generic skills to reach
. Competence in oral and written communication; . Competence to solve problems; . Critical thinking; . Quality concerns; . Self-criticism and self-evaluation; . Competence in analysis and synthesis; . Competence in information management; . Using the internet as a communication medium and information source; . Adaptability to new situations; . Planning and managing; (by decreasing order of importance)
Teaching hours per semester
total of teaching hours
Laboratory or field work
Bibliography of reference
Bibliografia recomendada nas disciplinas de Química Orgânica I, Química Teórica e Estrutural, Química Física I, Química Inorgânica e Química Biológica
The bibliography recommended for the disciplines of Organic Chemistry I, Structural and Theoretical Chemistry, Physical Chemistry and Biological Chemistry.
This discipline constitutes the practical part of the theoretical subjects taught in the second year. Experimental works covering the areas of Organic Chemistry, Structural and Theoretical Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry and Biological Chemistry are performed. Most of the experimental works will take 10 hours, including the discussion of the results and the report.
Laboratório de ensino prático para cada um dos módulos equipado com instrumentação adequada. Computador com acesso à internet.