*)N.B. if there are students who do not speak Portuguese the language is English.
- To understand the global architecture of data acquisition systems
- To identify and characterize the different tasks and functions of a data acquisition system
- To identify the physical and technical limitations of data acquisition systems and the associated instrumentation
- Ability to use and specify data acquisition systems
- Knowledge of basic and intermediate concepts of sensor elements and data communication networks
- Use data analysis tools for data processing (Matlab) in the scope of data acquisition systems.
1. Data Acquisition Systems
Characterization and Performance Evaluation
2 . Transducers
Definitions, characteristics and terminology
Main types of sensors
Calibration and compensation
3 . Signal Conditioning and Multiplexing
Instrumentation amplifiers and galvanic insulation
4 . Noise
Intrinsic noise (fundamental ): thermal and quantum 1 / f
Modes of extrinsic noise coupling
Methods for noise elimination
5 . Analog-to- Digital Conversion
Periodic sampling of signals
Nyquist sampling theorem
Differential non-linearity errors
Signal to Noise Ratio
Auto-correlation and cross-correlation
Main types of ADCs
6. Analysis and filtering
Properties of analog and digital signals
Analysis of the frequency spectrum
Electronics; Signals and Systems
Generic skills to reach
. Competence in analysis and synthesis; . Competence in oral and written communication; . Competence for working in group; . Competence in understanding the language of other specialists; . Competence in autonomous learning; . Knowledge of a foreign language; . Computer Skills for the scope of the study; . Using the internet as a communication medium and information source; . Critical thinking; . Research skills; (by decreasing order of importance)
Teaching hours per semester
total of teaching hours
Laboratory or field work
Bibliography of reference
- Apresentações e apontamentos (v2.1) disponibilizados aos alunos
Alguns livros de referência
- Data Acquisition Fundamentals, National Instruments, 2002.
- Edward E. Lee, Pravin Varaiya, Structure and Interpretation of Signals and Systems, Addison
- John G. Webster, ed., Medical Instrumentation: Application and Design, 3/e, John Wiley & Sons, 1997.
- John Bently, Principles of Measurement, Prentice Hall, 2004.
- Gilbert Held, Understanding Data Communication, 7/e, Addison Wesley, 2002.
- Eva Pärt-Enander, Anders Sjöberg, Matlab 5 Handbook, Addison Wesley Longman, 1999
- Presentation of the syllabus with support of laboratorial classes, problem solving and programming examples and challenges.
- Students are encouraged to work alone and in groups
Laboratório de instrumentação: Aquisição de um sinal biomédico. Sala de computadores equipados com Matlab: Análise e processamento de sinais