1 – understand the Thermodynamic laws and their applications.
2 – ability to use Thermodynamic concepts to solve problems.
1 – experimental and laboratory abilities in Thermodynamics.
2 – mathematical competences to solve thermodynamic problems (mastering the calculation of partial derivative, integration of simple differential equations,…).
Competences in analysis and summary.
Competences in organization and planning.
Competences in oral and written communication.
Competences in information management.
Competences to solve problems.
Competences to work in groups.
Competences in critical thinking.
Competences in autonomous learning.
Competences to apply the theoretical knowledge in practice.
1 – Essential concepts.
2 – Zero Law and First Law – Applications.
3 – Second and Third Laws – Applications.
4 – Thermodynamic potentials.
5 – Introduction to open system thermodynamics.
6 – Elementary Kinetic Theory.
General Physics I.
Mathematical Analysis I and II.
General Chemistry I.
Laboratory Techniques of Physics.
Generic skills to reach
. Competence in information management; . Competence to solve problems; . Competence for working in group; . Competence in applying theoretical knowledge in practice; . Competence in analysis and synthesis; . Competence in organization and planning; . Competence in oral and written communication; . Critical thinking; . Competence in autonomous learning; (by decreasing order of importance)
Teaching hours per semester
total of teaching hours
Sseminar or study visit
assessment implementation in 20132014 Assessment Midterm test ? 100%. Exam ? 100%: 100.0%
Bibliography of reference
SEARS, F. W.; SALINGER, G. L. Thermodynamics, Kinetic Theory, and Statistical Thermodynamics.
ZEMANSKY, M. W.; DITTMAN, R. H. Heat and Thermodynamics.
- Attainment of the theoretical concepts with relevant examples.
- Use of didactic material which is available on the internet or elaborated by the teacher, such as animations and simulations.
- Choice of practical assignments that allow students to deepen concepts that were approached in theoretical classes.
- Choice of problems for students to solve outside classes, throughout the semester, even if it is not an assessment component.
- Data show, projector de slides. - Laboratório de Termodinâmica, equipado.